Sunday, June 14, 2020

I know this much is true (ending.)

https://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story?storyid=876714232

Spoiler alert: The paranoid schizophrenic character dies in the final episode. He didn't even last an hour unattended, after he was released from the mental hospital. This portrayal of Schizophrenic people is actually very antiquated. Our meds work very well for many of us. When I take my meds, I function very well. I take care of my own needs, in addition to that of my children. (with the help of their father too, of course) 

I am still waiting for a portrayal of a SZ person, as the protagonist of a movie. Oh wait, maybe I should write one myself! This was an interesting movie, with a lot of cultural parallels to my life. As an Italian-Irish American, I was raised Catholic, like the twins in this series. My mother's Irish side of the family claimed to have a Native-American ancestor, like in the movie also! Spolier alert: In the end, Dominick finds out that he and his twin brother are really part Native American. 

I guess this story is fiction? I was led to believe that this was a true story, but now I am second guessing it. I did think it made for a cool ending though. I cried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment