Friday, February 23, 2018

2/23/18

Do other people treat you as if you were normal?

Yes, there has always been the same set of expectations on me, since I was diagnosed. This can be a blessing or a curse. My husband, for the first part of our marriage, did not believe I had mental illness, nor did he treat me any differently. I could have used more patience and sympathy at times. I grew into a denial myself and even went off my medication at one point. Now I know better and realize that I need to take care of my own mental health and not rely on anyone else to care for me. I can't let naysayers affect my judgement. He knows better now too.  Many of my friends and family do not really get it. They treat me the same as before my diagnosis. They blame my teenage pot smoking for my mental illness. It couldn't possibly be genetic. My great, great grandfather died in a sanitarium but never mind that. I am embarrassed to open up about my mental illness with most acquaintances, so I just discuss it privately with my support group and doctor. However I vent a lot on this blog and I do not know who is reading this.  I guess I am more public about my mental illness than I want to believe. I would hate discussing this with up close and personal with many people though. I do not think I would make the best mental health advocate. I have social anxiety, hear voices under pressure, and am not as educated about my own mental illness as I should be. I am still in the process of learning everything I need to know about my own schizoaffective disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment