Monday, February 19, 2018

2/19/18

So I was on a support website for schizophrenics and someone shared a story that I could relate to. It was about how they just lost custody of their children due to their psychotic break. I wanted to share that I was in a similar situation in 2014. I was not taking my meds, was hearing voices, threw my husband out and was struggling to take the best care of the kids. I called 911 on mysel,f talking nonsense to the cops, about 5 or 6 times before being thrown in 5150 psych ward. My husband took the kids and filed for divorce while I was in the hospital. He was awarded custody and I only had visitation. I needed to get well anyway and stabilize on my meds which took years anyway. Fortunately for me, my husband did a great job with the kids & when I stabilized, we reconciled.  It took me awhile to to stabilize but I needed to focus on my own wellness. I am just happy to be reconciled with my husband and children! I feel sooo much better! The reason I share my story here is so I do not forget what happened and repeat the past! I also want to bring awareness that a psychotic person can lose custody of their children very easily, if they are not taking their medications and taking to the hospital forcibly. Fortunately my husband is stable and my children were never taken into custody.  Things could have been worse, considering other situations, that I have heard.

Unfortunately when I go to my support website, I do not often get the support I need. At this time, I do not fit in with other schizophrenics. I try to chat. I try to help, but I get snubbed a lot. The women really do not reach out to me. I have no female schizophrenic friends. Schizophrenia.com is worse than Facebook for me. You cannot block anyone on this website and I wish I could. A couple people there bug the hell out of me!  I have come to the conclusion that I fit in better now with what some people refer to as "normies" or normal people. I have a real group of friends and lots of family who support me and love me. None of them have mental illness. They may not understand my mental illness completely, but I am doing so well right now, that they barely notice my mental illness. Schizophrenia, for me especially, is an invisible illness. Unless I tell someone that I am having problems, they would never notice. I am very stable right now. I don't want to jinx it, but I feel great and rarely hear voices. It is unfortunate, but some people on my support website, seem to resent my wellness. I credit my psychiatrist, support system, and antipsychotic for my current stability. When I am taking my antipsychotic, I am very high-functioning and feel fine. I am grateful for that! This takes me back to my New Year's Resolution of caring less when someone decides they do not like me.  I need to forget about those negative individuals and work on myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment