Sunday, September 13, 2020

Wrestling with reality: My favorite hallucination

I see strangers driving by, who look like you.

Some of the men resemble a past you, and some resemble what I think you would look like today. 

All beautiful, blonde, with lots of curls, and a bright smile.

I hear songs on the radio, which remind me of you. 

I hear a voice in my head, and it sounds like you too.

He speaks sweetly in my fantasy. 

Always followed by the nightmare of your wife and her friends, warning me to stay away from you.

How can you be here in Carlsbad, and busy living your married life in Santa Cruz, at the same time?

I will never understand. 

If you are so happily married, what are you doing here?

I know that he is just a memory and a fantasy. 

An apparition haunting me about what might have been. 

Why do you still visit me, without even saying one word to me?

Is it the San Diego surf, that is bringing you to my beach? 

Or do you have a score to settle? 

Doesn’t it ever get old, surfing in front of my house, showing off for me?

I am not crazy. 

You have been driving me crazy for years! 

No comments:

Post a Comment