Monday, May 10, 2021

Cute story about Andrew McCarthy

 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McCarthy

I saw Andrew McCarthy, the actor, on television today. He was promoting his new book, titled Brat: An 80’s Story. It made me curious about his love life. Was he married or divorced? So he told a funny story once, as listed on his Wikipedia page, about how his first wife was his college sweetheart. They lost touch after college. Years later, he bumped into someone from college who told him he saw her with her new boyfriend and they looked happy. It bothered him for about a week, so he looked her up and asked her out. They eventually married and later divorced. How anticlimactic!

You would think it would have worked out but he has struggled with alcohol abuse and that may have been a factor in the divorce. He is sober now and remarried with children. Well I found his love life to be an interesting and relatable story. 

Alcohol can end marriages, for sure, so maybe I am lucky that I didn’t marry my college sweetheart, right out of college. At that young age, I definitely still had a bit of a drinking problem post-college. Who knows? A marriage straight out of college was just not in the cards for me and lucky for that, as I was immature and may have unintentionally destroyed it.

I would hate to see that fantasy go down in flames. Maybe it is better for my college sweetheart to remain that perfect fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment