Monday, December 11, 2017

Opening up publicly about my mental illness...

So in the past few months, I opened up publicly about my mental illness. I talked about it to my family and Facebook friends, on Twitter, and on this blog. The first phase of opening up is dealing with everyone's different reactions to me. My family and close friends already knew. They were supportive. But there are a few people who are flipping out. I definately feel the stigma right now. I hope that we can move past this soon and people will go back to saying hi to me around school. I feel judged right now and, sort of, like a circus freak. Some moms at my children's school are avoiding me and today they were even pointing and whispering. I may be merely paranoid. There is so much more to me than my mental illness. My medication works great. I am high-functioning and barely notice my mental illness, on most days. I knew there existed the chance that I would be judged or mocked for publicly admitting my mental illness. The reality sucks though.


No comments:

Post a Comment