Tuesday, October 30, 2018

I consider myself to be a high-functioning individual, living with mental illness. My medication works very well for me. I have three children who are on the Autism spectrum, who I care for. I have a partner, a social life, and I volunteer frequently at my children's school. I have a moderate level of stress in my life, that does not trigger voices.

When I try to be too adventurous and go to loud, crowded places, I can relapse into voice-hearing. Sometimes, I welcome the voices because, I believe there is a story there, which gives me something to write/blog about. On other occasions, such as family holidays, the voice-hearing can add to an already stressful day. It zaps the joy out of the holiday completely.

Last night I went to a loud and bustling restaurant, with a friend, and experienced a mental health success. I did not hear any voices. What I appreciate, from my friend, is that she asked me a few times, during the night, how I was doing and if I was hearing any voices. I really appreciated her checking in on me. When I feel that I can lean on someone and open up about my mental illness, it is very comforting. That is what I would recommend to any partner or friend of someone battling mental illness, do not ignore or forget, the obvious needs of your partner or friend. It can make a world of difference in the mood and success of the experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment