Thursday, November 1, 2018

Do I have the "Life of Reilly," as a mentally ill person?

An acquaintance I know lamented today.
Her partner remarked, that as a mentally ill person, she has the "Life of Reilly."
"I can eat when I want and sleep when I want
don’t have to work, and sit on the internet all day
That is just not true
I don’t even have a life or anywhere to go
And I’m stuck with mental illness and other strange brews
I’d gladly switch places with him."

Some partners, who do not have mental illness, really struggle to say supportive things to their partners. I guess, it is trickier, with a mentally ill partner, because you need to try harder not to offend us or to try to understand something that you are not experiencing yourself.

The same has been said about housewives, that we have the Life of Reilly. That we just sit around and watch soap operas all day. Staying home with my special needs children has it's challenges too! 

I have heard this expression before, but had to research it more, to see if I really did have the life of Reilly. The phrase has an colorful history and Irish origin.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-life-of-riley.html


There was a ballad, printed in 1899, which recounts the story of Willy Reilly running away with his hieress lover, only to be caught and tried for abduction, eventually finding freedom and riches in his lover's arms - truly the life of Reilly.

Yup, that sounds exactly like me...and then I woke up! :)


***On a side note, we had a fairly relaxing Halloween, with no trick-or-treaters. 

***I also found out yesterday that I have Basal Cell Carcinoma on my left arm. Yikes! I guess this life of Reilly will be cut short if I don't start wearing sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment