Thursday, January 24, 2019

The other day, on Twitter, a hashtag was trending, #exposeachristianschool, where people were sharing their horror stories. Fortunately, for me, the extent of it was dealing with snotty prep school kids and being snubbed by them. After moving to San Diego 20 years ago, I still am see many of them about. I saw one of them at Target last weekend and was greeted with a Resting Bitch Face. Alison Dalley still would never condescend to speak to me, because my family was neither popular, nor rich.

When I see some of the most vicious people from grammar school, on Facebook, they are usually touting their Catholicism, as they have children in the same Catholic grammar school. I was not that impressed by my Catholic grammar school. Long gone are the days of being taught by nuns, many of our teachers were not even Catholic, and therefore, could not reinforce or nurture our young Catholic minds. Fortunately, I made a handful of friends there though.

My Catholic high school was brutal, on the whole. I thought that by moving out of the Brentwood area, I would find nicer, more down-to-earth classmates. Sherman Oaks was not much better. I was snubbed in high school too. I think that just goes along with the high school experience. It was cut-throat. I was surrounded by "Mean Girls," as well as being a "Mean Girl" myself. Much of what was said in high school and many things that I said, echo in my brain permanently. I have high school horror stories, on repeat, in my brain.

I was more than snubbed. By the end of my four high school years, I was a social outcast. It was heartbreaking. I would rather not think about it. I believe that my social experiences and the hurtful words spoken to me though out my Catholic schooling helped shape my mental illness.

I went into college, looking for love, and I did not find it there. What a let-down! Bring on the depression! My old-fashioned mother would have loved me to find my husband, in college. But I never acquired the social skills or social cunningness rather, to acquire that cool, good-looking, most coveted boyfriend, in college. I wasn't up for the competition, like some people. I just wasn't ready for love either. I do think it takes a competetive, "type A personality" to land that super good-looking, rich husband. It is a calculated journey.

On a positive note, I am convinced that my husband and I are at a stage in our lives, where no one wants to steal my husband from me and vice-versa. Other women, may not be able to sleep that easy, where that is concerned. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment