Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Today, I signed a contract to publish my first essay, with an online organization that fights mental illness stigma. The organization is called OC87 Recovery Diaries. I am really excited about this. I hope that I receive only positive feedback on my personal essay. People can be brutal online.

Lately, I have been noticing people in my life throwing around the term "crazy" a lot. As I come out about my mental illness, I can't help but be offended and assume that they are talking about me. I just deleted a Facebook friend over this. I think this friend has mental issues herself, but that is no excuse for insulting others by calling them "crazy."

Today, I heard a few mothers at my children's grammar school casually tossing around the term "crazy" too. These women are not my friends so I am just trying to ignore them. Maybe I need to be more vocal with the people around me. That is what "busting stigma" is all about, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment