Sunday, November 25, 2018

Today I was reminded just how rare my condition of schizoaffective disorder is. I went to Walmart to pick up my antipsychotic medication, Vraylar. I had gotten an automated text teliing me that it was time to refill, so I refilled my prescription. Then I got a text stating that my medication was ready for pickup. When I got to the Walmart pharmacy, the man behind the counter told me that there was a mix-up and my prescription was not ready. Rather it would be ready Tuesday afternoon. Fortunately, I have enough medication to cover the time. The clerk also reminded me that I have a VERY RARE condition. No other costumer at this particular Walmart takes this prescription but me, so Walmart does not keep Vraylar in stock. The Vraylar is special ordered for me, every time. 

Vraylar is a newer medication that helps Bipolar and Schizophrenic/Schizoaffective people. So that tells me that there are possibly no other people living with mental illness at Walmart, besides me? That can't be true. Vraylar is still very expensive, so many people may not be able to afford it. I have a prescription discount card for Vraylar, which is the only reason I can afford it. 

"Schizoaffective disorder is a chronic mental illness that affects between 2 and 5 people out of every 1,000 people. Its symptoms are a bit more common in women, and usually begin in early adulthood."

"Worldwide about 1 percent of the population is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and approximately 1.2% of Americans (3.2 million) have the disorder. About 1.5 million people will be diagnosed with schizophrenia this year around the world."

***On the way out of the Walmart shopping center, I thought I saw Esteban driving in and  laughing at me. Groan!

No comments:

Post a Comment