Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Keep it Complex: New Study Shows that Previous Research Oversimplified Schizophrenia Symptoms

The article below discusses many things, including various negative symptoms of schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder. The article also explains the difference between positive symptoms and negative symptoms. Check it out!



Keep it Complex: New Study Shows that Previous Research Oversimplified Schizophrenia Symptoms: Negative symptoms in schizophrenia can be so disabling that they interfere with a person’s ability to attend school, begin a fulfilling career, and even live independently.

In a recent study published by JAMA Psychiatry, UNLV psychology professor Daniel Allen and colleagues suggest a new way to classify the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, which may influence research and treatment in years to come.



I often wonder what my negative symptoms of schizoaffective disorder are. Do I have any? My psychiatrist has never diagnosed me with any negative symptoms,  so it is up to me to figure out for myself. I don't think I have any debilitating negative symptoms. I have a pretty awesome life, I think, for the most part. I do struggle with lack of motivation and the inability to experience extreme highs. My medication regulates my mood and keeps me pretty mellow. (I am grateful for that though.)


No comments:

Post a Comment