Sunday, February 17, 2019

I love looking around my backyard after the rain. Everything looks so refreshed. I noticed this weed in my backyard today. When I was young, I remember chewing on the stems of a flower like this. I was told it was edible and the stem had a lemony taste. Well, it wasn't poison and I lived to tell the story. I haven't eaten a wildflower lately but many people do it. (Hikers especially) I am afraid it is yellow oleander (poison), so maybe I will hold off on eating this.


I heard that the previous tenant here planted zucchini, in our backyard, at one time. Maybe these are zucchini blossoms? I had fun researching edible flowers and plants today. I guess the actual/trendy term for eating weeds and flowers is "foraging." Click on the links below to read more about edible flowers and foraging.


https://www.georgesatthecove.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-foraging-in-san-diego

No comments:

Post a Comment