Sunday, November 13, 2022

Catching up with Yusuf


I am catching up on all the great Covid quarantine videos from my heros The Doobie Brothers and Yusuf “Cat” Stevens. I don’t know who actually reads my blog and I hate to speak ill of my parents but we had differences of opinions when I was growing up. I was raised in a Conservative Catholic Republican home and I developed “hippie leanings,” as my parents would say. They wanted to stop me dead in my tracks to UC Santa Cruz, the liberal college I dreamed of attending. They wanted to build a wall. I just imagined Yusuf commenting how stifling that must of been. I was disappointed in my parents when they had a problem when Cat Stevens became Muslim and changed his name to Yusuf. They discriminated against him and turned their backs on him. I was saddened by their religious prejudice. He seems like a sweet man, a good person, and he is definitely a great musician. I just teared up listening to this beautiful song. I avoided his music for so long, trying to please my parents. On the bright side, my Dad has been voting Democratic in the last few elections. He has seen the light! 

No comments:

Post a Comment