Thursday, April 18, 2019

In the 1990's, I worked at a radio station and I hated half of the music that my station played. Matchbox 20 was one of the bands that I did not appreciate. We have the MTV Classic channel in our home now and I was just taken back to the 1990's today with this video. At first glance, I cannot get over the fashion styles of the 90's, which I hated even then. Why did so many musicians, like Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20, have Jennifer Aniston's haircut from the television show Friends? Everyone (men and women) sported the Rachel hairdo. What were we thinking? I never paid any attention to the lyrics of this song until now. We turned the closed captioning subtitles on our television, so I finally understand the lyrics of so many songs. 

This video, "Unwell," is a testament (once again) to how musicians love to sing about mental illness. Rob Thomas is not mentally ill, but he explores it in this video and song.  During the 90's, I was in college, and on the brink of mental illness. It is pretty interesting for me, to be taken back to that time, through this video. I never paid attentio back then, but so many years after it's release, I finally appreciate the sadness and thought that went into making this. Perhaps, the band knew someone or was touched by mental illness, in some way, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment