Thursday, July 26, 2018

I post a lot of music videos on my blog. I love music! I was watching a documentary today about Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys and learned that he has schizoaffective disorder. I never knew that! As I have said before, as a teenager, I experimented with drugs, such as LSD.

My psychiatrist does not want me to blame myself, for my mental illness. She has reason to believe that, in my family, there is also a genetic predisposition to mental illness. Many of my family members are ashamed of this idea, and in denial of this. (They blame my drug use) However, this is something I discuss with my psychiatrist regularly.

Like Brian Wilson, I want to discourage people from taking drugs, like acid. Acid is very dangerous and can damage your brain and trigger mental illness, after experimenting with it, the first time.

https://mic.com/articles/117876/7-musicians-who-spoke-out-against-the-stigma-of-mental-illness#.oVNuKyWQq

I have been visiting other blogs and reading articles about Brian Wilson today. I was surprised to read some of the reader's comments about Brian's mental illness. One person asked if schizoaffective disorder was still prevalent?  Perhaps they thought that since the 1960's had passed, acid had become passe. I experimented with acid in the 1990's, so that is a false conclusion to make. Brian Wilson is not the only living person with schizoaffective disorder. Unfortunately, people are still being diagnosed with this illness. It is both drug-induced and naturally-occurring.





No comments:

Post a Comment