Saturday, September 15, 2018

It isn’t just that we live in a patriarchy. The patriarchy lives in us.-Gloria Steinem

I wonder if Gloria Steinem would hate my blog. I quote male comedians a lot. I have always admired male comedians and even though it sounded weird and wrong,  I would re-tell their jokes. I aspired to be a comedian, for a period my life. I guess I am just silly. I have always laughed at the crudest, most misogynistic, male jokes.  Does having a male sense of humor and sharing certain ideas with men make me a misogynist too?

 I would love to see the play coming out about Gloria Steinem to learn more about her. I went through a phase in high school and college, where I identified as a feminist. I was interested in the movements of the 1960's and 1970's. I had hippie leanings too. I don't know what really happened to my feminism. As I realized that I failed to live up to feminist ideals, I eventually gave up trying to live up to those ideals. I don't want to beat myself up over it right now though. I am a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment