Friday, September 14, 2018

Someone on my therapy site, confided that her mother did not believe that mentally ill people should have children. As much as I was offended and defensive about this, I thought about this today. I Googled mental illness and Autism. Oh no! I always thought my husband lacked social skills and might be on the spectrum, but I have schizoaffective disorder. I am sure that if people knew this, they would judge me and blame me for causing my children's Autism. I never really researched the link between mental illness and Autism until today.

I wanted children so badly that I just got pregnant and hoped for the best. I trusted that I would have healthy children. I love my children. I have seen their delays and struggles, but they are special. I do believe that Autistic children are sweeter than neurotypical children. I guess I am biased towards Autistic children now. I am sorry that I went into having children so blindly, but I adore my children, so there is no turning back now. They are mine to nurture and love, so please do not pity me either. I am just taking it day by day and appreciating every milestone they achieve, as it happens. My children are wonderful and beautiful!


https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20080502/parents-mental-illness-and-kds-autism#1

UPDATE: My sweet son that I was just bragging about is now screaming his head off in utter defiance!


No comments:

Post a Comment