Friday, May 13, 2022

Mothering with schizophrenia

 https://psychcentral.com/blog/podcast-mothering-with-schizophrenia

This is an interesting podcast because the woman speaking is schizoaffective and recently had a baby. She also speaks of her troubles openly on YouTube. She has received some pushback for having a biological child when she is living with mental illness. 

I had a very different experience because my family and I kept my mental illness a secret. Only my psychiatrist warned me against getting married and having children. Most people with extreme mental illness do not do that. I felt much pressure to be like my siblings and extended family so I ignored my psychiatrist and went ahead with marriage and child rearing. My growing children have Autism and one of my daughters may have some mental health issues as well. They are the sweetest children though and I see them as blessings. I can’t look back with regret. I am trying my best to deal with the cards that I have been dealt.  

Anyway I sometimes feel envy of people who become public figures and the face of mental illness. But this woman seems to be a good advocate so I approve of what she is saying. I don’t like talking about my mental illness that much in person anyway. I prefer to write or blog about it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment