Sunday, May 8, 2022

Zero (a poem)

I feel I need a

Normie husband , or

A lottery win to cope.

Odds on either are zero.

I thought I saw Robert Plant yesterday. I was probably hallucinating. Many people living with mental illness stay in dysfunctional, even abusive relationships, to avoid a life on the streets. Could I really do better in this life? I know that I could do worse. I was talking about all the 50+ musicians that I crush on and hallucinate. Someone told me to shoot for even older like Ozzy Osbourne, as he looks like he is about to drop dead.  That would be like winning the lottery, if he even left me anything. Anyway, my dreams take me far away from reality. I am lucky to have what I have and be where I am at in life. I remember a quote from Jerry Garcia about mental illness.

I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.-Jerry Garcia

That’s me living comfortably with my scientist domestic partner, when the alternative is trying to make it on my own/living in poverty.

The person who wrote this poem was a man. They have it tougher I think. They need a partner who can support them financially, as they can’t work. That’s usually a dealbreaker unless you randomly luck out. I think that is the point of his poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment