Thursday, August 18, 2022

An old family photo from the late 1990’s


 This family photo was taken towards the end of college for me or right after I graduated college. The first thing I observe about this picture is how depressed me and my siblings look. Depression runs in our family. My mom has told me that I wasn’t super thin in college but yes I definitely was. I am the daughter on the far right having the wardrobe malfunction. lol This time in me and my sisters lives was super sad or at least we were made to feel bad about ourselves. We were raised Catholic and no one was supposed to have sex before we got married. So all of our Catholic cousins were rushing to the altar marrying their first ever boyfriend and we were not seeing anyone seriously. They beat us to the altar! Damn! My mother told me that she was pessimistic that I would ever find my future husband after college. She basically sent me to college to find my future husband and I came home, upon graduation, empty handed. She made my sisters and I feel old and unwanted. We were failures for not finding our husbands in college. Sad! Don’t rush your children into getting married and having your grand babies! Please don’t do that! Some people never find their soulmate. Some people don’t ever get married. Some people shouldn’t get married or have children. This should have been the time of my life. I was fresh out of college. I had the world at my feet. So why did I feel so badly? My mother has since passed so l can’t go back and attempt to make her feel bad for the memories I am left with. Lucky her!

No comments:

Post a Comment