Thursday, March 21, 2019


"The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight." - Joseph Campbell


A Mental Disease by Any Other Name

For Frank Russell, reinterpreting his schizophrenia as shamanism helped his symptoms.



http://nautil.us/issue/58/self/a-mental-disease-by-any-other-name-rp


When I was unmedicated and having a psychotic episode in 2004, my voices kept telling me to find a shaman to help me. I drove to the local Native American reservations to seek one out, who could help me. At the time, I wanted to battle Santeria with Shamanism. I reached out to my only Native American acquaintances, but never received the help that I needed. I never made real contact with a shaman. The article above, discusses the shamanistic view of schizophrenia. It appears that, had I been born into that culture, I might have more support and even an actual appreciation of my illness. It is an interesting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment